Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Am Connected: Fire

Continuing with my exploration of connection with the elements. My first post regarding connections with the elements starts here with Air.

As I sat down to think about my connection to the element of fire, I realized that I was having a difficult time finding things that I can relate. Fire is usually referred to "as itself" (Lipp, 2003, p. 8), lust and passion, action, and change. This is an element that I will have to find a way to incorporate in to my life in more ways.

How I am connected to fire:

  • Sitting in a dark room with the only light coming from a single candle
  • A bonfire
  • A warm, cozy house
  • A heated debate (friendly, of course) in which both people are passionate about their point of view but still respect the other view point
  • Curled up in a chair next to my fireplace reading a book
  • Feeling the heat of the sun on my face
  • A hot cup of tea, coffee or another hot drink
  • Anything that makes me want to take action
  • The feeling that you get when you are just starting up a new romantic relationship


Lipp, D. (2003). The Elements of Ritual. St. Paul: Llewellyn Publications.

3 comments:

Angela said...

There is a great set of companion CDs to Christopher Penczak's The Outer Temple of Learning that includes a series of elemental meditations. They are guided journeys to realms of the four elements to help you experience and become familiar with them. You might find these meditations a nice addition to the elemental work you are doing. We did these as part of Christopher's second degree classwork and I found them effective, powerful and fun.

Penguin said...

I would have difficulty with fire, too. Perhaps it is our upbringing - after all, what "good" parent would entice their child to show passion, lust and major change in the status quo?

I like what you are doing. Blessings on your journey!

S. Nichole said...

Thanks A-E. I will check them out.

Penguin - Good point.