Thursday, February 15, 2007

About Me

It’s about time! After a year and half of blogging, I have finally put an “About Me” page together.

About Me

Name: S. Nichole
AKA: Sojourner
Age: 30 something
Location: St. Paul, MN
Current Occupation: Social Work
Education: AA General; AA in Photography; BAS in Psychology
Future Plans: PhD in Psychology or History


My interests include photography, art, music, cooking, extreme bookworm-ish tendencies, disability rights, volunteerism, world religions, philosophy, psychology, the brain and how it works, and jewelry making.

I recently graduated with a BAS in Psychology and have decided to take a couple of years to decide which direction I will go in regards to continuing my education. I am looking into programs in cognitive neuroscience, psychology of religion, and history of religion in the U.S. as possibilities for graduate school.

I am a member of a Unitarian Universalist congregation in the Twin Cities Area.


Why A Blog About Paganism?

A Pagan Sojourn is my space to reflect about different aspects of Paganism and occasionally general religion and psychology in relation to religion.

Although I had been reading about and studying Paganism since my mid-teens, I didn’t get very serious about the study. While I have continued to be mildly interested in the subject, my interest was renewed when a classmate disclosed a secret to me: She had decided to become Pagan. When she couldn’t answer some of the questions I was asking, I decided to seek out the answers, or various versions of them, for myself.

It was at the same time that I found a blog for the first time and I realized its potential in helping me to keep my thoughts on Paganism in a semi-organized manner. I also realized that the platform of blogging allowed for people to add to the conversation and saw it as a way to interact and learn from those that read my blog.

I don’t claim to be an expert, I do try to be informed, but I definitely have an interest in the subject of Pagan religions.


What’s With Your Name?

I go by “Sojourner” on my blog. However, some people erroneously list me as “Knowledge Sojourner” because of my email address. Maybe telling the story behind the email address will clear up some confusion.

When I announced to my friends and family that I would be going back to school, I got the expected, good natured teasing. “You’ll be going to class with people who are more than 10 years younger than you!” They seemed to think this was funny. So I told them that I would only be “dwelling temporarily within the walls of knowledge” and then would move on to bigger and better things. As a joke, I set up the email and planned to use it while in school. Instead, I used it for this blog as it fit with my blog title and pen name.


What’s With The Blog Name?

Sojourn

Main Entry: 1so·journ
Pronunciation: 'sO-"j&rn, sO-'
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sojorn, from Anglo-French sujur, sujurn, from sujurner
: a temporary stay < sojourn in the country>

(source: Merriam-Webster Online)

While many people use the term “sojourn” to mean “a journey” or “to seek,” it also implies a temporary stay. This blog was meant to be a year long study of Paganism, before moving on to something else. However, when I got to end of the year, I realized that I had more that I wanted to learn. I am currently thinking about changing the name of my blog to reflect my longer stay.


I Want You To Participate!

Please, if you have something to say, SAY IT! I want you to participate in the conversation, even if you have a different perspective. I like hearing different perspectives, as it is a great way to learn. All I ask is that you try to be respectful. I will try to do the same.

Feel free to comment even on older posts, as I do keep track of comments that are made on them.

7 comments:

Bernulf said...

Being able to read more about you has been the only thing that's been missing around here - and the information in your About page passes to the personality that comes out in your writing quite well :-)

Cool!

deborahoak said...

very nice!!!! Thanks!

John said...

I just found your blog and thought I'd let you know that I'll definitely be back. :)

Also, there's another substantial druid organization that you may have an interest in looking at or linking to. Ar nDraiocht Fein - http://www.adf.org

Happy Spring.

Marc Futoran said...

Your blog is fascinating. Religion and psychology, what an interesting combination. I hope your autumn equinox was enjoyable.

Unknown said...

Found your site when I was looking for a pic of a double rainbow on images on google. Read your introduction page and was hooked as many of your interests coincide with my own and for some unknown reason, tears came to my eyes and I started laughing... have bookmarked your page and will continue to enjoy reading about your progress in life. Myon45

Alkman said...

Nice blog you have here!

Suzanne said...

I've been enjoying reading about your journey very much. I love nature and enjoy reading about the appreciation of others. My first experience that I would call God was in a clearing surrounded by very tall, old trees. It felt like a cathedral to me.

I thought you might also enjoy Beyond the Fields We Know. Cate is a devotee of the Old Wild Mother, Gaia. Her photographs and words about nature are lyrical and reverent and move me deeply. Her blog URL is
http://kerrdelune.blogspot.com/

Wishing you much beauty on your path.

~Suzanne