Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mabon

With Autumn comes changes. This is a time when the temperature gets colder and the leaves change color. It is also the time of the fall harvest which gives us foods like squash, apples, potatoes and onions. This is my favorite time of the year because of the fresh fruits and vegetables that I now get to add to my table.

I love good food and find that it is a great way with which to celebrate a holiday. So, to celebrate the day, my plans are to make butternut squash soup, fresh homemade wheat bread, baked apples and maybe one more dish that will be decided on later. And wine and/or cider. What's a good meal without a good compliment?

This time of year is also supposed to be about balance. So today, as I celebrate Mabon I will be thinking about how to bring that aspect into my life. For sake of my own sanity, I know I need to find a better balance in my life in respect to time spent in school, work, clubs, and time for myself.


Some associations with Mabon:

  • Colors:Red, Deep Gold, Orange, Brown, Maroon, Russet, Yellow
  • Food: Wheat, Squash, Onions, Apples, Grapes, Indian Corn, Carrots, Potatoes, Beans, Nuts
  • Other: Thanksgiving, Balance, Second Harvest, Wine Moon

Celebrations and festivals being held this week (one is from this past weekend):

Festival of the Mabon
Mabon Festival
Small Gathering in Minnesota
Circle Sanctuary


This weekend will also be a special time as I have been invited by members of the Jewish Student Organization on my campus to attend their some of their activities surrounding the celebration of Rosh HaShanah. I am going to try to make time this weekend to attend, as it is very important to me to learn about other religions.

6 comments:

Grian said...

Very nice Sojourner. I love your candor when discussing your own experiences and practices. :)

Bernulf said...

This is my favorite season of the year...the laziness in the trees is especially inspiring for me, some of my best naps are taken while sitting under trees during this season :)

I like the new look in here!

Penguin said...

Gorgeous blog colors.
Interesting links.
thank you for even more info on Mabon :)

S. Nichole said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

Turtleheart said...

Happy Autumn Equinox! Hope you have a beautiful day!

S. Nichole said...

You too Turtleheart!