Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Storm Is Coming

I hear the storm rumbling in the distance. It's supposed to be big one with lots of lightning and judging by the sound already - a lot of noise. I love storms and I can't wait for this one to hit my area.

I love hearing the rain on the roof, hitting the window, the side of the house just as I loved hearing the rain on my tent or the metal roof of the trail shelters when I hiked the Appalachian Trail. The sound has always been rather thrilling to me. I never realized how much it meant to me until I lived in a first floor apartment a couple of years back. I will never live in a first floor apartment again.

I don't know what it is about a storm that I find so appealing. Maybe it is because for once, everything slows down - there is nowhere to go but to sit and listen to the storm progress as I don't like driving in storms. Or maybe it the energy in the air coming from the charge of the lightning. Or maybe it is just the way the earth smells at the beginning or the end of the storm. Or maybe it is because I can feel the change in the air. There are so many reasons; I can not think of just one.

Every year, I look forward to spring when the rains are frequent. I sometimes stay up late with a cup of tea resting on the table next to me and sit and watch the lightning and listen to the thunder. Tonight, I am going to do the same thing. I will be enjoying the sounds of something that is much more powerful than me.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I love them too. I think it is mother nature at her best. A few years ago when Hurricane Isabelle came through our area, I sat outside on the porch watching the fury. I love the energy that storsms produce.