Friday, October 20, 2006

Fun with Religious Language

A few days ago, we talked about stress patterns and intonation of speech and language (called supra-segmentals) in my psycholinguistics class and then we were shown common language errors of children and were given this version of the Lord's Prayer as pieced together from different examples:

Our Father, who art in Heaven, how didja know my name?
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this steak and daily bread, and forgive us our mattresses.
Lead a snot into temptation, but deliver us some email. Amen.

I thought that you may enjoy this.

2 comments:

Hrafnkell Haraldsson said...

That's hilarious. I have seen similar pieces about how songs are misinterpreted. One I can think of from waaaaay back is "Evil Woman" by ELO...a friend of mine, because of how they draw the "e" out in "evil" thought the words were "medieval woman" which is quite another story altogether (and possibly a more interesting one).

Penguin said...

*snicker* how fun!

I love the game that you say the name of song or movie or line from a song - well, say it wrong - and other people try to guess it. "There's a bathroom on the right" was one of my favorites.