Saturday, September 16, 2006

You Don't Say

It is amazing what you can learn when attending a Renaissance festival- from the fairly normal to the slightly silly to the completely ridiculous.

You can see all sorts of demonstrations - glass blowing, chain maille and handmade candles. You also learn that some people still know how to dish out the insults. (This is from a show called Vilification Tennis.) You also realize that some people just don't know what time period the Renaissance is when you see them dressed in Victorian-style dresses.

All that will seem normal compared what I learned about next.

You see, it seems there is a new church in my home state. It is called the Church of the Rubber Ducky. What?!? Ah, yes, those wacky Minnesota Ren Fest people - they went and started their own "church."

While I was walking around, I noticed that quite a few people who worked at various booths had tiny rubber duckies swinging from their costumes. I saw a man with one hanging from his belt. I saw a women with one dangling from a button hole. Finally, I had to ask someone and ended up talking to a girl who was church member #118. (Each duck is numbered on the bottom.) "I'm so glad you are interested in our little church," she said in her Ren Fest drawl.

While I didn't find out too much information regarding the beliefs of this "church," the girl did give me instructions on how to find and recognize the Head Duck so that I could secure my own membership into this new church. While I walked around for the rest of the day, I kept hoping for a glimpse of their leader so I could find out more. I am sorry to report that I failed in my mission.

5 comments:

Bernulf said...

The Church of the Rubber Clucker...ah, Rennies :)

I share your observation that some folks at the renfests seem confused about which historical period they're in...but by the same token, I think that renfests are one of those few environments in America where people really let loose and allow their fantasies to take shape en masse. I usually felt more sorry for the people walking around in plain street clothes than I did the vampire-hunting kobolds from Venus :)

S. Nichole said...

Then you must feel sorry for me! LOL

I hate "dressing up." It is not very often that you will find me in a costume - not for a Halloween party and definately not for the Ren Fest.

I do find it more amusing than annoying to see people walking around with strange costumes. I would agree with your observation that this is a place that people are allowed to let loose.

Bernulf said...

:)

My problem with 'dressing up' is that I'm loathe to go back into 'mundane' clothes afterwards. Kilts are simply more comfortable than jeans - although I haven't worn one since leaving America - and I think that decent costuming also looks better than the suits many are expected to wear at work.

Penguin said...

I do believe Vilification Tennis is much more entertaining than Puke & Snot!

I too saw people with duckies and wondered. But, was unable to ask anyone.

Wonder if you and I were standing next to each other & didn't even know it!

Huzzah!

S. Nichole said...

Penguin - I love VT. As I know many, if not most, of the people that participate in this show, I end up hearing "the best of" the season's insults the rest of the year.

This has got to be one of favorite shows - especially when I see parents covering their children's ears as they get up and leave or the older folks that are so shocked, I wonder if they are going to need medical attention. :)

The funny thing is that I kept an eye out for you, hoping to be able to meet you. :)

Were you there this weekend?