Wednesday, September 14, 2005

School Pledge

Through most of elementary school and jr high, I refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance for a reason I don't really remember. I think it had something to do with a friend of mine who didn't say it out of religious conviction. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable with being the only kid in class that wasn't saying it, so I refused.

It's rather pointless to have kids recite something that they don't truely understand and when they don't know the ramifications of such an act.

All I can say to this article from Yahoo! is YES!!!

3 comments:

Gwyn said...

Looks like a step in the right direction! I believe spirituality should be taught at home, not at school. Even if everyone at your school was of the same religion, it doesnt mean that the teacher can't put their particular slant or emphasis on it.

Catherine Vocalist said...

I never got the point either. So it's a good start.

sammy_bunny said...

I hate being forced to take an oath of allegence too. But no one ever understands when I say that. I get the "she's unpatriotic" stare.

Heather
www.spiritblog.net