Friday, July 15, 2005

Pagan Religions

I was curious about how many different Pagan religions there are out there, so I started to compile a list of any Pagan religion that I could think of or find. Some of the religions have millions of followers, some only a few thousand. I realize that my list is small. If you know of any others to add, please leave a comment.

When looking on the internet, Wicca-type Paganism was the religion that shows up the most, as some of these religions don’t refer to themselves with the label of “Pagans.” One reason why some of these, such as Buddhism and Hinduism, are considered Pagan religions is due to geographical location, according to a human geography class I took last year. These religions are generally concentrated in one area of the world, according to my text book. I’d like to add that Pagan religions tend not to have a “one true scripture.”

Most information about Paganism say that they are earth or nature based religions. While that is true for Wicca-type religions, I don’t necessarily think that is true for Buddhism and Hinduism, as there is a huge emphasis on the self and well being and not so much on nature.

Here is a list of Pagan religions:

Asatru
Baha’i
Buddhism
Confucianism
Druidism
Eclectic Paganism
Hinduism
Jainism
Native American Religions
Neo-Paganism
Shintoism
Shamanism
Taoism
Wicca

No comments: